2019 Nominee – Ian Kennedy
Community Service related to military/veterans:
While with the Royals (2016-19)
- Since 2017 Ian and his wife Allison, have hosted different community groups in a fully catered suite to enjoy the game and early batting practice at each Saturday home game. The Kennedys put an emphasis on military organizations by inviting thirteen (13) different groups that support military, veterans and law enforcement (Folds of Honor, KC Fire Fighters, Paterson Outdoors Ministries, Police Athletic League, SAFE, TAPS, Team RW&B, USO, Vance Air Force Base, Veterans Community Project, VFW, Warriors’ Ascent and Whiteman Air Force Base).
- The Kennedys provide the tickets, parking, catered meal and a Royals gift from the Team Store.
- In addition, Ian and Allison meet with the group to welcome them to Kauffman Stadium.
- During the off-season, the Kennedys have made personal financial donations to Folds of Honor, Honor Flight Network of KC, SAFE and the USO.
- Ian joined other teammates to meet and greet with veterans prior to a game in 2016, 2017 & 2018.
While with the Padres (2013-2015)
- Ian and Allison routinely hosted families from deployed Navy Ships in the San Diego area. These events include 4 or 5 families from a deployed ship where they met Ian, watched batting practice and watched the game in a fully catered suite. Ian and his wife covered the full cost of the experience and Allison joined the families for each game.
- The Padres hosted a care package stuffing party where 1,000 packages were assembled for sailors and marines from local bases deployed overseas. Ian visited the volunteers to thank them and signed autographs.
- Also, with the Padres, Ian participated in a local military housing summer BBQ to thank service members and sign autographs.
Community Service (not military related)
- The Surviving Spouse And Family Endowment Fund (SAFE) honored Kennedy with the Lifetime Membership due to his support of their organization which honors local fallen police and fire fighters.
- Ian has supported several Royals Charities initiatives including the on-field gala Diamond of Dreams, the annual Broadcast Auction, hospital visits, and other events.
- Ian joined the Royals to provide items to families in need at the Johnson County Christmas Bureau in both the winters of ’16, ’17 & ’18.
- Ian and Allison have joined the Royals, for three consecutive years, at the City Union Mission Men’s Center during the Thanksgiving Celebration. Since then, they went back as a family to provide and serve meals, once a month, at the Family Center.
- Brother-in-law serves in US Navy